Skip to main content

Jose Mourinho's return to Real Madrid is 'closer' after Chelsea sacking, says ex-president Ramon Calderon


Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon believes that Jose Mourinho's dismissal as Chelsea manager is just a precursor for his return to the Bernabeu. Calderon says the Portuguese manager will be the perfect "shield" for current under fire chief Florentino Perez as the team struggles under Rafa Benitez.

Mourinho left the the Spanish capital in 2013 after falling out with members of the squad including goalkeeping legend Iker Casillas, Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe. He also had a torrid relationship with the Spanish media but still became a favourite with the supporters and also enjoyed a close connection with the club's board.
Last year the Portuguese manager claimed that despite ending on a sour note he would not hesitate to return to Los Blancos in the future while pointing out his "fantastic relationship with the president".
"I left Real Madrid with a fantastic relationship with the president, the executive director and the entire club after making a decision which was best for my career," he said to Portuguese TVI in September 2014 to explain his exit from the Santiago Bernabeu. "What if you could return again and join Madrid? Yes, definitely. It was an experience as a man and as a coach that I would repeat again without thinking twice."
Calderon believes that this return is now "closer" after Chelsea officially parted ways with the manager on Thursday 17 December following a poor start to the season, leaving the Blues just one point away from the relegation spots in the English Premier League.
The former president, who has been a constant critic of Perez's management of the club, says that Mourinho will be his perfect shield after earlier this season the Real Madrid supporters called for him to resign following a 4-0 defeat against Barcelona.
Following the Chelsea announcement, Calderon tweeted: "Mou closer to Madrid"
"Only a few things to sort out and he'll be here. Without doubt (Mourinho's dismissal) is the best news for Perez in the most difficult situation he has lived as president. He could not find better shield," he said. "Just for everyone to know. I've given my personal opinion in Mou's case. Not talking on behalf of anyone else."
Calderon's comments also come in a week when the future of Benitez at the Santiago Bernabeu has come under increasing scrutiny following their weekend defeat against Villarreal.
Nevertheless, Marca and AS have been reporting in recent days that Zinedine Zidane would be the one chosen to replace Benitez should Los Blancos opt for an imminent change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

72-year-old woman gives birth to her first child

It said Daljinder Kaur gave birth to a baby boy at a fertility clinic in the northern Indian state of Haryana, following two years of in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment. The report noted that though Kaur doesn’t possess any official paper to justify her age, but doctors at the hospital have registered her age as 72 years. It noted that if Kaur’s age is correct, that makes her one of the world’s oldest woman to become mother. 

15 QUESTIONS TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE PT. 1

I believe that we were all sent here for a reason and that we all have significance in the world. I genuinely feel that we are all blessed with unique gifts. The expression of our gifts contributes to a cause greater than us.

Musa Gowon: Son of former ruler Yakubu Gowon to return to Nigeria after 22 years in US prison

The son of former Nigerian military head of state Yakubu Gowon is due to return to Nigeria after spending 22 years in a US prison after being convicted on drug-related charges. It is believed Musa Gowon was released from the Taft Correctional Facility Bakersfield, California, after US President Barack Obama granted him pardon earlier in November.