Skip to main content

Paris attacks: France 'to extend state of emergency indefinitely' - reports


The French government is looking to extend the state of emergency for six months or even "indefinitely", according to new reports.

Government sources told AFP that a draft law of the bill includes plans to change the constitution to carry on with the state of emergency way beyond the three-month limit.
The legal framework will be submitted to ministers on 23 December. The state of emergency, which went into effect after the November 13 attacks, gives security forces extra powers to investigate and combat terrorists. It allows authorities to ban public demonstrations and conduct several arrests across the country.
A total of 276 people have been placed under house arrest since the powers came into effect, and more than 1,000 addresses searched by police.
However, rights groups and activists have accused the government of abusing their powers after dozens of environmental activists were placed under house arrest before the COP21 international climate talks, that run from 30 November until 11 December. The Greens have accused the government of exploiting the terrorist threat to curb the right to protest. "That's enough. Environmentalists are not terrorists," David Cormand, the deputy head of Europe Écologie Les Verts (Europe Ecology – The Greens), tweeted to Prime Minister Manuel Valls and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.
After the first environmental activist was detained, the Human Rights League (LDH) urged the French government to rethink its approach. "If we needed a confirmation that the state of emergency is a threat to civil liberties, the measure would prove so, as it reveals that the fight against terrorism is only a pretext to ban all discordant voices", the group said in a statement. "As we feared, the state of emergency is accompanied by increasingly arbitrary measures."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

72-year-old woman gives birth to her first child

It said Daljinder Kaur gave birth to a baby boy at a fertility clinic in the northern Indian state of Haryana, following two years of in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment. The report noted that though Kaur doesn’t possess any official paper to justify her age, but doctors at the hospital have registered her age as 72 years. It noted that if Kaur’s age is correct, that makes her one of the world’s oldest woman to become mother. 

15 QUESTIONS TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE PT. 1

I believe that we were all sent here for a reason and that we all have significance in the world. I genuinely feel that we are all blessed with unique gifts. The expression of our gifts contributes to a cause greater than us.

Musa Gowon: Son of former ruler Yakubu Gowon to return to Nigeria after 22 years in US prison

The son of former Nigerian military head of state Yakubu Gowon is due to return to Nigeria after spending 22 years in a US prison after being convicted on drug-related charges. It is believed Musa Gowon was released from the Taft Correctional Facility Bakersfield, California, after US President Barack Obama granted him pardon earlier in November.