Skip to main content

Belgian Transport minister resigns over Security reports on Brussels Airports


Belgium minister of transportation resigned on Friday, after the publication of leaked reports from the European Commission warning of security deficiencies at Brussels Airport, the site of two deadly terrorist bombings on March 22.

Prime Minister Charles Michel said that King Philippe had accepted the resignation of the minister, Jacqueline Galant, saying she had “undertaken several bold reforms,” and thanked her for her service.
Ms. Galant came under heavy criticism this week, with opposition lawmakers demanding that she go. She was scheduled to face a tough parliamentary hearing on Friday afternoon.
The tipping point may have come on Thursday, when Laurent Ledoux, the president of the Federal Public Service for Mobility and Transport, resigned after saying he could no longer work for Ms. Galant.
On Thursday night, Mr. Ledoux supplied documents to the state broadcaster, RTBF, which appeared to show that Ms. Galant had been notified of security problems at Brussels Airport, which was targeted, along with the Maelbeek subway station, in assaults that left 32 dead, along with three attackers.
He openly accused Mr. Michel and Ms. Galant of misleading the public by not acknowledging awareness of the reports.
Mr. Ledoux said that he had asked in February for more employees and resources to tighten checks at Belgian airports, but that Ms. Galant “systematically” disregarded those requests.
He also criticized the Belgocontrol, the country’s air traffic control agency, whose staff members went on strike shortly after the airport reopened in protest of plans to raise the age at which employees may retire with pensions.
Belgium minister of transportation resigned on Friday, after the publication of leaked reports from the European Commission warning of security deficiencies at Brussels Airport, the site of two deadly terrorist bombings on March 22.
Prime Minister Charles Michel said that King Philippe had accepted the resignation of the minister, Jacqueline Galant, saying she had “undertaken several bold reforms,” and thanked her for her service.
Ms. Galant came under heavy criticism this week, with opposition lawmakers demanding that she go. She was scheduled to face a tough parliamentary hearing on Friday afternoon.
The tipping point may have come on Thursday, when Laurent Ledoux, the president of the Federal Public Service for Mobility and Transport, resigned after saying he could no longer work for Ms. Galant.
On Thursday night, Mr. Ledoux supplied documents to the state broadcaster, RTBF, which appeared to show that Ms. Galant had been notified of security problems at Brussels Airport, which was targeted, along with the Maelbeek subway station, in assaults that left 32 dead, along with three attackers.
He openly accused Mr. Michel and Ms. Galant of misleading the public by not acknowledging awareness of the reports.
Mr. Ledoux said that he had asked in February for more employees and resources to tighten checks at Belgian airports, but that Ms. Galant “systematically” disregarded those requests.
He also criticized the Belgocontrol, the country’s air traffic control agency, whose staff members went on strike shortly after the airport reopened in protest of plans to raise the age at which employees may retire with pensions.
- See more at: http://tvcnews.tv/?q=article/belgian-transport-minister-resigns-over-security-reports-brussels-airports#sthash.fdUxUaII.dpuf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

72-year-old woman gives birth to her first child

It said Daljinder Kaur gave birth to a baby boy at a fertility clinic in the northern Indian state of Haryana, following two years of in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment. The report noted that though Kaur doesn’t possess any official paper to justify her age, but doctors at the hospital have registered her age as 72 years. It noted that if Kaur’s age is correct, that makes her one of the world’s oldest woman to become mother. 

15 QUESTIONS TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE PT. 1

I believe that we were all sent here for a reason and that we all have significance in the world. I genuinely feel that we are all blessed with unique gifts. The expression of our gifts contributes to a cause greater than us.

Musa Gowon: Son of former ruler Yakubu Gowon to return to Nigeria after 22 years in US prison

The son of former Nigerian military head of state Yakubu Gowon is due to return to Nigeria after spending 22 years in a US prison after being convicted on drug-related charges. It is believed Musa Gowon was released from the Taft Correctional Facility Bakersfield, California, after US President Barack Obama granted him pardon earlier in November.