Skip to main content

Manny Pacquiao retires from boxing after final victory over Timothy Bradley

Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao says he has retired from boxing after sealing a comprehensive victory over Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas. In his first bout since losing to Floyd Mayweather Jnr in May 2015, the 37-year-old recorded knock downs in the seventh and ninth rounds en route to sealing a unanimous points decision in a decider against Bradley, having previously fought him in 2012 and 2014.

Pacquiao now plans to focus fully on his political career and is hoping to win one of 12 seats in the Philippine's upper chamber as a United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) party senator. He has been a member of Philippine's congress for the last eight years.
Despite his trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum suggesting he could return to the ring again, the eight-time welterweight world champion insisted he will now hang up his gloves for good, with a record of 57 wins (38 via knockout and six losses).
"Yes, I am retired. I want to go home to my family and serve the people," Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title in 2012 to Bradley via a controversial split decision but dominated their rematch two years later to regain the belt. The Filipino fighter was similarly superior at the MGM Arena on Saturday. Bradley, fighting under new trainer Teddy Atlas, pressed his opponent in the fifth, forcing him into the ropes and connecting with some sharp combinations.
Pacquiao recovered swiftly however and by the sixth, was beginning to find his devastating range, dropping his opponent with a vicious right hook. Bradley's camp argued their man had slipped, but they could have no argument in the ninth when Pacquiao countered brilliantly to land a huge left, sending the 32-year-old to the canvas again.
Pacquiao follows Mayweather in retirement, after the unbeaten American left the ring for the final time after victory over Andre Berto in September 2015 – his 49th career victory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

72-year-old woman gives birth to her first child

It said Daljinder Kaur gave birth to a baby boy at a fertility clinic in the northern Indian state of Haryana, following two years of in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment. The report noted that though Kaur doesn’t possess any official paper to justify her age, but doctors at the hospital have registered her age as 72 years. It noted that if Kaur’s age is correct, that makes her one of the world’s oldest woman to become mother. 

15 QUESTIONS TO DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE PT. 1

I believe that we were all sent here for a reason and that we all have significance in the world. I genuinely feel that we are all blessed with unique gifts. The expression of our gifts contributes to a cause greater than us.

Musa Gowon: Son of former ruler Yakubu Gowon to return to Nigeria after 22 years in US prison

The son of former Nigerian military head of state Yakubu Gowon is due to return to Nigeria after spending 22 years in a US prison after being convicted on drug-related charges. It is believed Musa Gowon was released from the Taft Correctional Facility Bakersfield, California, after US President Barack Obama granted him pardon earlier in November.